Friday, May 27, 2011

Memorial Day Milspouse Friday Fill-In!

I've been cleaning the house all morning and almost forgot - it's MilSpouse Friday Fill-In! I suppose I could pull myself away from scrubbing toilets to answer a few fun questions... ;-)


1. Do you think civilians, in general, understand the meaning of Memorial Day? 
Honestly no. For most people it’s just a day off from work, a 3 day weekend. I remember asking my coworkers what they were doing for Memorial Day throughout the years. Typical responses were to have a BBQ and go shopping. 

I suppose for me, having grown up a military brat, I was raised to hold Memorial Day in a different regard. I remember as a kid placing flags on the graves of our fallen soldiers, going to Memorial Day parades and taking a moment for remembrance at 3PM. With my daughter, I am certainly carrying on this tradition. I guess it just depends on how you were raised. If my parents hadn’t taught me about it, I’m sure I would just be shopping and BBQing with everyone else! 


2. What are your plans for the Memorial Day Weekend? 
We’ve got some good friends coming into town so I’m really looking forward to seeing them! My dad always said to take a veteran out to lunch on Memorial Day so I’ll be sure to take my awesome hubby and friends out as well. We have some fun Memorial Day activities planned too but we’ll play it by ear and see what everyone wants to do.



3. What skill/talent do you wish you had? submitted by The 3 Turners
That’s tough! I wish I was crafty and could sew. I have talented friends who whip up clothes for their kids, curtains, bedding, you name it, and I so wish I could do that too! I have tried to learn from friends, and even taken classes but I am a total lost cause. I dream of having a craft room one day...*sigh*



4. Which came first: the chicken or the egg? submitted by I Married Into The Army
I’d say the chicken. And why did he cross the road, you may ask? To get away from Colonel Sanders of course! You can thank my daughters corny joke book for that one. She has it memorized. Lucky me! ;-)


5. What is the best thing about your post (base)? The worst? submitted by Randomly, Robyn
Best – That we are 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from the mountains, and only 1 hour from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. So in a nutshell, lots to do within driving distance. I also love all the rolling green trees, country roads, sleepy little small towns, produce stands and farmers markets.


Worst – Anywhere we go, it’s a drive. And gas is EXPENSIVE as we all well know! Other than that it’s all good! I try to find the best wherever we go so I really try not to dwell on the bad. That and we just moved from a base that literally had NOTHING so that definitely helps put things in perspective! :-)
                                      

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...what an amazing craft room! I definitely admire those that can just whip up amazing homemade creations.